Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Property 101 - Super Long Documents

Usually when you purchase or sell an property, you need to sign a lot of paper, for example:
  • Booking Form
  • Sales & Purchase Agreement
  • Deed of Assignment
  • Power of Attorney
  • Bank Loan Offer Letter,
  • Loan Document
  • Tenancy Agreement
and etc....

We are not legal expert, and the document is so long, 90% of us will not bother reading it and just trust the expert. But what if the expert made mistake in the document and you signed it also? Then, I only can say TOO BAD.

Therefore as I emphasize previously, you need to have trusted people within your circle that you can rely on them when come to this kind of document, Lawyer, Agent, Loan Officer and etc.

http://wickinv.blogspot.com/2010/07/property-101-your-right-hand-man-lawyer.html

However, I still have a habit to check some key terms myself when come to document. For example, Name, IC, Loan Amount, Loan Interest Rate, Penalty,  Lock In Period and etc. Personally, I have experience below myself
  • Lower penalty rate than what is agreed in Bank Loan Document (which is good news to me)
  • Longer lock in period than what is agreed in Bank Loan Document, which extended from 3 years to 5 years
  • Tenancy agreement with wrong bank account number
  • Exclusive Agent Form which I never agree to from Property Agent
  • Booking Form that stated higher commission rate than what I thought it would be
Lesson learnt, it is good to cross check some of the key terms yourself, else, you may end up in situation you never thought of :)

No comments:

Post a Comment